Kentucky Concealed Carrying Deadly Weapons Permit Course
Note: You must live in the State of Kentucky to apply and receive a Kentucky CCDW permit. If you live in Ohio, you will need to sign up for the Ohio CCDW Course.
Course Requirements and Cost:
- Residency in the State of Kentucky
- 6 Hours of Classroom Training.
- 2 Hours Range Training.
- Cost is $85 due on the day of the course, payable by cash or money order.
- You will need 100 rounds of factory ammunition for this course – no reloads.
- Handgun Nomenclature and Function
- Handgun Ammunition
- Fundamentals of Shooting
- Kentucky Laws and Statutes
- Selecting a Handgun
- Firearm Safety
- Methods of Concealed Carry
- Use of Deadly Force
- Cleaning your Handgun
- Practical Shooting Qualification Test
- Situational Awareness *
- Physiological Effects of Being Attacked *
- Review of Ohio CCW Laws *
- Ethical Responsibility for Concealed Carry *
- Responding to a Violent Confrontation *
- Aftermath of a Self-Defense Shooting *
- Introduction to Basic Handgun Tactics *
- …and much more.
* NOTE: Items with asterisks (*) will be covered after the course and are not part of the KY CCDW syllabus.
I was searching for a place to get my concealed carry and a good friend told me about Joe’s class and that he was signed up to go. It was hard to get in and I actually called some other places and could have gotten into those classes with no problems. Meanwhile my friend goes through the class and calls me the next day telling me not to go anywhere else and that I would not regret waiting. He was right! I went in with absolutely zero knowledge of guns and came out well informed and confident of handling most any pistol. The EXTRA stuff Joe teaches and the information he gives you to take with you or look up later via web sites is way above and beyond any expectations.
Quick Links about the Kentucky CCDW:
- Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training
- Kentucky State Police
- Kentucky State Police - Reciprocity States
- KC3 – Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed
- Carrying a CCW in Kentucky on Company property or in your car
Information about renewing your Kentucky permit
[ from the KY DOCJT ]
The Kentucky State Police will send notice and a renewal from to each CCDW license holder not less than 120 days from expiration of a license. An expired license shall be void and not valid for any purpose other than surrender to the sheriff in exchange for a renewal license.
Additional Information about the Kentucky permit:
- To obtain a license a person must be at least 21 yeas old, and;
- have been a Kentucky resident for at least the last 6 months before applying (you can take the course prior to the 6 months residency though).
A person is NOT eligible to get a license if that person:
- Is ineligible to possess a firearm under KRS 527.040 (Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon).
- Is ineligible to possess a firearm under federal law which applies to any person who:
- is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony;
- is a fugitive of justice;
- is an unlawful user of or is addicted to controlled substances;
- has been judged by a court to be mentally defective or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution;
- is an illegal alien;
- has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
- has renounced US citizenship;
- is currently subject to a domestic violence protection order, or
- has been convicted by any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- Within the preceding three years:
- Has been committed for abuse of controlled substances or has been convicted of a misdemeanor involving controlled substances;
- Has 2 or more convictions for motor vehicle DUI or has been committed for alcoholism;
- Has been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, or;
- Has been convicted of a misdemeanor of Assault in the 4th Degree or Terroristic Threatening.
- Not paying child support has also become a disqualifier.
- New requirement: US Citizenship.
NOTE: After a license has been issued, if any of the above takes place, the license will be suspended.